Thursday, December 4, 2008

Blog Chain Blatherskite



Yes kiddos, it’s that time again! I feel lucky to have been invited to become a member of the blog chain with this multi-talented group of writers. Some may even have super powers, just go check out Elana’s blog (http://elanajohnson.blogspot.com/ ), she posted before me. And H.L. Dyer will be next (http://hldyer.wordpress.com/).


The topic for our blog chain posts is different each time, and we take turns coming up with a question. As Elana said before me, we are getting closer to the time when we will have to pick, but luckily, she’s gonna have to come up with something brilliant before I do (but not too brilliant….then I’ll just look bad when I have to choose a topic).


Sandra (
http://ulbrichalmazan.blogspot.com/) started this one, and she gave us a super hint. It was a video clip from The Princess Bride (check out her blog, it’s there). “As you wish.” Is definitely something that every woman would LOVE to have their man say to every simple request. So here’s the question:


What is the role of wish fulfillment in fiction? What personal wishes do you want your stories to fulfill? Are they the same ones you want to read about? How do our fictitious wishes affect our everyday wishes?


Now, I must admit (not for the first time) that I am a bit impulsive. I also have an imagination with a mind of its own. When I read the question the first time, I just skimmed it and then my imagination answered in lots of visuals. There was Gerard Butler doing my laundry, next he was mopping the kitchen floor, then he was cooking dinner. Each time I asked him to do something he would reply in his lovely Scottish brogue,

“As ye wish, Princess.” (okay, I threw the “Princess” in just so that I could imagine the “r’s” rolling off his tongue).



Now what does it say about me that I would fantasize about Gerard Butler doing my laundry or cleaning my house? Sad, isn’t it?



But then I read the first post by Sandra. Oops, I misunderstood the question.



Okay, I’m sure that most people agree that they read fiction as an escape from their life; being able to imagine yourself in a different time period, a different location, maybe even hob-knobbing with super natural beings. Whatever genre you read, or write for that matter, it’s usually because that’s what or where you’d like to be, at least for a few minutes of your day.



I think one wish for my writing would be that it takes the reader to another place. Whether you journey with Margaret to eighteenth century Scotland, get inside the head of Kathryn who is haunted by a young boy, or travel through the Veil with Gerard the Gede (***sorry Voodoo Priestess if that reference offends you), I want my readers to relate to my characters and experience emotions right along with them. I want readers to care about what happens to my characters. I think I want what most writers want. What do you think?


***

http://terrirainer.blogspot.com/2008/09/open-apology-to-vodou-priestess.html

13 comments:

H. L. Dyer said...

Another time and place is always nice in fiction. :)

And I think it's perfectly reasonable to fantasize about hotties doing housework. ;)

Michelle McLean said...

Oh my gosh - I am totally going to have "As ye wish, Princess" in my head for the forseeable future. Gerard Butler saying that to any request I make? Um yeah, definite wish fulfillment over here :D

I'm with you on wanting my readers to get swept away to the settings I create, to have them really care about what happens to my characters. Nothing makes me happier than to get angry, threatening emails when someone reads the chapter where the hero gets shot and lies bleeding to death. Warms my little heart to have them be so attached to him that they are seriously upset that he may die :D

Great post!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Of course, having hotties do the housework leaves us with more time to write. ;)

I agree that I also want my readers to feel transported to another place and to care about my characters.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to admit I got carried away with Gerard fantasies of my own and realized I needed to focus and finish reading your post -- which is awesome, of course.

I think we must have the same wish genie.

Vodka Mom said...

I'm so distracted by your hottie, I don't even KNOW what I wish. Whew.

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

LOL - great funny post! And yes I agree that most writers want the same things: a hot housekeeping hunk... oh, wait, no - I meant the other thing about transporting your reader. ;)

Skeeter said...

The role of wish fulfillment? Seriously? I am sooooo NOT going to touch that subject. But, you know, it still would be great to be able to see you again sometime dear.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

LiteralDan said...

I think this calls for someone to get a few visits from the Scottish Maid Service for Christmas, as a compromise.

TerriRainer said...

To the gals : Since you all seemed a bit distracted by the thought of a hunky housekeeper, I'll just sit back and giggle....my work here is done.

Skeeter : I didn't think you guys would still be meeting, since classes had started back up. Writer's group still meet at the Santa Fe on Wed? Maybe I'll pop by sometime.

One-eyed Dan : Scottish maid service? No shit? That's probably a Chicago thing, but I might have to check into that! Of course with my luck, I'll get some guy named Bruno, who's 60-something, has a thick Jersey accent, and is in witness protection, who not only doesn't clean well, but has a bad attitude and plumbers crack!

:) Terri

Dapoppins said...

I was just telling a friend of mine who is writing a story featuring a single/widowed young mother (26ish) of twins.

And I, being a long married mother of 4 was brave and told her quite honestly that I prefer stories with single young women who do not have a huge history with a bus load of men or any children of their own yet. ( I prefer romance, with a heavy does of fantasy (I rarely read contemporary)))

--this had nothing to do with my friends writing skill. It was all about the element of fantasy to me. My kids come second to nothing in my life, before my need, my career, my life, and I can't separate that reality from a fictional character...well I can, but not very well.

I do tend to read the same type of fictional stuff over and over...


wait, were we talking about wishes? I will take Gerard from 300 please...and he doesn't even have to do much laundry. Just stand there.

Elana Johnson said...

I agree that when I read I want to be swept away to somewhere else, experience something besides my own drudgery.

Carolyn Kaufman | @CMKaufman said...

I'd let Gerard sweep me away. Oh wait, sorry, that wasn't quite what you said. ;-) Great post!

Mary Lindsey / Marissa Clarke said...

Gerry. Mmmmm. Yep. Wish fulfillment.