My youngest daughter would go out of her way to compliment people when she was in high school and then in college. The waitress who brought our drinks, the cashier that rang us up, a receptionist at the doctor’s office. It didn't matter who or where. It was an effort for her. Being on the spectrum, she never felt comfortable around people.
I asked her about it one day and her response was two-fold.
The first was that complimenting a stranger made them feel good, and that costs
nothing. The next one broke my heart. She said she told people what she wished
someone would tell her.
Since that day, I’ve tried to adopt her kindness. I’m not
always good at it. In fact, I don’t think I’ll ever be at her level of awesome.
It only takes a minute to say something positive. Congratulate
someone on a win, apologize for a loss, just be human. As a parent, we often
forget that we can continue to learn from our children well into their
adulthood. But they can humble us by just being themselves.
Tell the checker at the grocery store you like her hair. Tell
the receptionist at the Dr’s office you appreciate her kindness. Tell your own
child (grown or not) how amazing they are.
I know I failed in that department, but I can still try and
make up for it by being more like her.


No comments:
Post a Comment